One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to a minor period of less cold climate during a glacial period.Compare with interglacial
- ‘Between 20000 and 105000 BP the GRIP and GISP2 cores record 22 warm interstadial events reflecting extremely rapid climatic change in the North Atlantic.’
- ‘Robe 11 and Robe III refer respectively to interstadial Substages Sa and Sc according to the terminology of Schwebel.’
- ‘The value of - 9 m for Robe Range relates to deposition during interstadial 5c rather than during the interglacial maximum.’
An interstadial period.
- ‘At Vostok, however, only nine interstadials are recorded in the same time period.’
- ‘Presumably it represents a steppe bison, a species that was relatively common in the Yukon and Alaska during the Mid-Wisconsinan interstadial.’
- ‘Data from the GRIP ice core from Greenland show that this cold period was not uniformly cold and 24 interstadials are recognized (DansgaardOeschger events).’
- ‘And even the glacial periods themselves are divided into colder phases and temperate interstadials.’
- ‘In comparison with other deglaciation records from the Rockall Trough the sample may date from the warm Allerod-Boiling interstadial of 13.5-11 ka.’
Early 20th century: from inter- ‘between’ + stadial from Latin stadialis, from stadium ‘stage’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.