Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Situated or occurring between segments.
- ‘This was usually seen on the dorsal abdomen, particularly in the region of the intersegmental membrane.’
- ‘As in other Crabro species, the wasp's egg is attached to the soft intersegmental membrane of the cervix [throat] where the larva can readily penetrate the cuticle with its mandibles.’
- ‘With 3 or 4 preabdomen segments, a modified system of intersegmental muscles and tendons may have been evolved to act as a pump.’
- ‘This innervation pattern is repeated in all three thoracic ganglia, and it appears that each of these intersegmental axons supplies the VACs of all three ganglia with NOS-containing collaterals.’
- ‘Partial intersegmental division exists on the dorsal surface; the ventral surface has a rounded protuberance on its anterior proximal margin.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.