One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A person who interpolates something.
- ‘The passages in italics below are likely to come from the anonymous interpolator.’
- ‘Even in the original poem from Guo Maoqian's anthology, Mulan's utterances, which account for about one third of the poem, are frequently interrupted by indirect speeches that suggest the presence of a male interpolator.’
- ‘Thus, Murphy-O'Connor's inept interpolator could not have chosen a worse location to place the verses which asserted that women were to be silent in the church and subordinate to their husbands.’
- ‘If the individual who marked the Tavola is the same as the interpolator, perhaps the other two were marked but the interpolation never completed.’
- ‘As translator, interpolator, and author, Gascoigne not only channels the work of others but also adds his own unique contributions to Hunting.’
2A device which guides a tool through a smooth curve when provided with a set of points defining the curve.
- ‘As such, the interpolators provide position feedback up to 4096 times the resolution of the encoders themselves.’
- ‘These interpolators use a multi-bit value approach that permits adders to be used instead of multipliers.’
- ‘The techniques can be extended to the design of multistage decimators and/or interpolators.’
- ‘This method is used to ask the interpolator which is the best level to use to compress the passed data.’
- ‘The purpose of the interpolators is to calculate intermediate values for a given number of frames between a start value and an end value.’
- ‘Interleaved memory function interpolators are then applied to the specific goal of an accurate logarithmic number system arithmetic unit.’
- ‘All interpolators have a stop method which is called when the interpolation is finished.’
- ‘When dealing with interpolators, we've provided an interesting extra capability: All interpolators are capable of acting as either a linear or step fashion.’
- ‘The named phases are then input to a data interpolator in each receiver, which generates 16 local phases.’
- ‘A design is given for a quadratic interpolator needed by the Logarithmic Number System.’
- ‘The interpolators include a one-deep stack onto which pixel and texel information for the initial or entry block are pushed before rendering any other blocks within the span group.’
- ‘The buffer is assumed to be the correct dimensions for the interpolator.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.