Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1 Plant (a crop or plant) together with another crop or plant.‘purple varieties are interplanted with yellow types’
- ‘One year we grew lettuce and then interplanted tomatoes; those two crops grossed $5,300.’
- ‘That's why gardeners interplant Oriental poppies with concealing companions such as baby's breath, catmint, globe thistle, Heliopsis, purple coneflower, and Russian sage.’
- ‘As other varieties were interplanted with Petite Syrah, and as new vineyards were started with unidentified cuttings from older vineyards, the true identity of Petite Syrah grew more and more obscure.’
- ‘Participating families could interplant agricultural crops on the land until the trees were firmly established.’
- ‘To begin with, a more disease-resistant crop, interplanted with a less resistant crop, can act as a physical barrier to the spread of disease spores.’
- ‘They are all modestly interplanted with Red Onions to help deter pests.’
- ‘It's deciduous, so to obtain year-round shade, it will need to be interplanted with other evergreen species such as the yellowwood tree.’
- ‘These could be interplanted with a bronze-foliaged winter blooming heath to provide pockets of color and shape during the winter season.’
- ‘Even on a small scale, container grasses can be enlivened by interplanting them with broad-leafed plants, such as a mix of golden-variegated Hakone grass with bronze-leafed sweet potato vine.’
- ‘He interplants hakonechloa, fountain grass (Pennisetum spp.) and eulalia grass (Miscanthus spp.) with his bulbs.’
- ‘Yet when it's finished flowering, she likes to interplant some impatiens in the bed under her tree for spots of summer-long color.’
- ‘Elaeagnus may significantly improve yields from nitrogen-greedy plum and nut trees, for example, when it is interplanted among them.’
- ‘Other gardeners prefer to interplant them with spring flowers such as columbines, daisies, dianthus, Iceland poppies, lupines, and peonies.’
- ‘Bulbs can also be interplanted in such a way that the summer perennials just coming into leaf will mask the dying foliage of the spring bulbs.’
- ‘All of these, the wildlings and selected forms alike, take up little space, look delightful when interplanted with small spring bulbs, and provide enormous interest at a time when any colour is to be cherished.’
- ‘Below are colorful primroses interplanted with forget-me-nots and azaleas.’
- ‘Spring is the time to interplant perennials, shrubs, roses and plant or transplant your annuals.’
- ‘In August, get a jump on fall cover crops by interplanting them between corn, carrots and other row crops.’
- ‘A few ‘Chinese Daikon’ or ‘Snow Belle’ radishes work well as a flea beetle catch-crop when interplanted with cole crops.’
- ‘A favorite Dutch remedy is to interplant Fritillaria imperialis.’
- 1.1Plant (land) with a mixture of crops or plants.‘the area could be interplanted with shade-loving species’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.