Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Situated or travelling between planets.‘interplanetary missions’
- ‘For interplanetary missions, such windows are much stricter than for satellites orbiting the Earth.’
- ‘But on interplanetary missions, astronauts will experience this damaging radiation full force.’
- ‘The Judges would select a developing planet that was about to develop interplanetary travel to which to send a subject for five years.’
- ‘Fragments of asteroids and comets pervade interplanetary space.’
- ‘I am now personally accountable for some of the solar system's interplanetary debris.’
- ‘In addition, most upper stages that are used to propel systems to high orbits or even into interplanetary trajectories are also solid-fuel systems.’
- ‘However, planning interplanetary journeys is more complicated than just taking account of the distances.’
- ‘Modern interplanetary spacecraft explore their target planets and moons with the aid of robots, and these robots are also becoming very small.’
- ‘The real payoff in present terms is the spinoff technology that will be used for future lunar and interplanetary missions.’
- ‘The amount and efficiency of the energy released by fusion makes it a good candidate for interplanetary travel.’
- ‘Orion was originally designed as an interplanetary spacecraft for missions to the Moon or Mars, but the design was adapted for interstellar travel.’
- ‘The ringed world of Saturn is almost a year of interplanetary travel away.’
- ‘That means interplanetary missions would no longer need to wait for a ‘shortest journey’ launch window.’
- ‘Generally a spacecraft is first placed in an Earth parking orbit, and from there is given another boost to give it the appropriate interplanetary trajectory.’
- ‘In interplanetary space, the fast wind often collides with the slow wind.’
- ‘The shuttle was everyone's competitor, from small low Earth orbit payloads to big interplanetary missions.’
- ‘If plans for interplanetary human space missions are to be realised, with a return journey of up to a couple of years, future astronauts will have to be able to act during a medical emergency.’
- ‘Parker also showed how the solar wind would carry the solar magnetic field into interplanetary space.’
- ‘Its principal responsibilities are to support interplanetary spacecraft missions and radio and radar astronomy observations.’
- ‘These flowing charged particles constitute and interact with an interplanetary magnetic field.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.