Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to stimuli produced within an organism, especially in the gut and other internal organs.Compare with exteroceptive
- ‘The brainstem and CVO pathways appear to communicate interoceptive stimuli, in that these pathways emanate from structures involved in autonomic regulation and surveillance of blood- or CSF-borne factors.’
- ‘Plans for actions are floated, emotional states begin and both of these feed back into my sensory cortex through the proprioceptive and interoceptive systems respectively.’
- ‘In our study, we used the five items of the Private Body Consciousness subscale as a measure of interoceptive awareness.’
- ‘Chapter 9 introduces the idea of interoceptive exposure and discusses how exposure to uncomfortable physical sensations can help reduce social panic attacks and other problems related to physiological symptoms.’
- ‘Overall, the ascending brainstem pathways allow for rapid, often direct transmission of interoceptive, arousal, and pain information to the PVN.’
Early 20th century: from interior + receptive.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.