One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A slender part between two nodes or joints.
- ‘The articulated colonies of Crisia fragment into their constituent internodes after decay of the elastic joints.’
- ‘The branching pattern observed in Figure 1 shows that the early eutherian radiation was rather rapid (note the short basal internodes coupled with long terminal branches).’
- ‘In type II divergence, the evolutionary rate for a specific site is accelerated somewhere along the basal internode that connects the two subfamilies.’
- ‘Genotypic selection analysis revealed strong density-dependent selection in the open site, favoring genotypes with longer internodes at high density and with short internodes at low density.’
- ‘We began by eliminating one internode, the fourth internode (the one closest to the t-junction), leaving other parameters unchanged.’
- 1.1Botany A part of a plant stem between two of the nodes from which leaves emerge.
- ‘The shoot, especially in the upper part, was elongated in OB plants with longer internodes but the same leaf number.’
- ‘The leaf is one component of the repeating vegetative segment or phytomer, comprised of the leaf, node, internode, and axillary bud.’
- ‘The upright clump of leaves observed on 11 December 1987 was a vestige of the future upright, leafy stem with very short internodes between the leaves.’
- ‘Shoots represent annual increments of extension growth, and their component parts, metamers, consist of a node, an internode, a leaf and an axillary bud.’
- ‘Buds in the axils of the bracts expanded and repeated the pattern; each had a prophyll that remained in the bract axil, a long internode, then a succession of leaves with shorter internodes and a terminal spikelet.’
- 1.2Anatomy A stretch of a nerve cell axon sheathed in myelin, between two nodes of Ranvier.
- ‘Shortening the t-stem axon to two internodes did not have any effect on ARP, but it slightly increased LCI.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin internodium, from inter- ‘between’ + nodus ‘knot’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.