One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A medical specialist in internal diseases.
- ‘The primary care physician workforce is also divided into three specialties: general internists, family practitioners, and paediatricians.’
- ‘General medical professionals such as internists, primary care doctors, and nurse practitioners as well as psychiatrists, of course, evaluate, diagnose, and treat depression.’
- ‘It is the purpose of this paper to stress the common occurrence of this syndrome in the everyday practice of the general practitioner, the internist, and every other specialist.’
- ‘It is an obvious fact that a pediatrician would not need the same armamentarium as would the internist, the cardiologist, or the general surgeon.’
- ‘He is a general internist, geriatrician, and health services and policy researcher.’
Early 20th century: from internal + -ist.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.