One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A global computer network providing a variety of information and communication facilities, consisting of interconnected networks using standardized communication protocols.‘the guide is also available on the Internet’as modifier ‘Internet access’‘an Internet address’
- ‘The site has been up for less than 2 weeks and has already caused a storm on the Internet.’
- ‘It was a rude awakening for me when you mentioned the threat of of the Internet becoming a one way medium.’
- ‘As with any network service you should only expose it to the Internet if you need to.’
- ‘Whenever a user goes to a Web page on the Internet, a request for the page is sent to a server.’
- ‘It connects to the Internet via a mobile phone, and the feature list rolls onward.’
- ‘It will be a virtual network, living on top of the Internet, but it will grow very rapidly.’
- ‘The Judge will also permit the video testimony to be distributed via the Internet.’
- ‘What is this decision that threatens to wipe out the Internet in one fell swoop?’
- ‘After months of dormancy a mass mailing email worm has exploded onto the Internet.’
- ‘It is widely known that the Internet is used as a testing ground for stolen cards and card numbers.’
- ‘There will also be better information on the Internet to attract suitable workers.’
- ‘Anyway, this sort of weirdness is what makes the Internet great, and we wish them well.’
- ‘After all, a hyperlink is merely a road marker on the Internet, and can never be unlawful.’
- ‘What it manifestly fails to realise is that the Internet is a huge marketing tool.’
- ‘Being able to use the Internet from anywhere in or around your house is fantastic.’
- ‘The one major problem with the Internet for such schemes is the sheer size of it.’
- ‘It aims to help children understand the benefits of the Internet and browse safely.’
- ‘Most mail traffic is never encrypted as it traverses its way around the Internet.’
- ‘Americans may soon be able to offer a kidney or liver over the Internet if a New York senator gets his way.’
- ‘The general election is hotting up and the Internet will play a big part in it.’
1970s (denoting a computer network connecting two or more smaller networks): from inter- ‘reciprocal, mutual’ + network.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.