One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A body of rules established by custom or treaty and recognized by nations as binding in their relations with one another.
- ‘That Treaty was concluded when international law in this area was in its infancy.’
- ‘Can you address the crimes of a people outside of international law through international law?’
- ‘Instead, international relations would be regulated by a set of common rules of international law.’
- ‘From the point of view of international law, it ordinarily does not matter.’
- ‘It is not the body of rules of international law, so much as the process of international law, which is really at issue.’
- ‘It's hard on the need for universal human rights and the rule of international law.’
- ‘The final two chapters consider Pinochet from the viewpoint of aspects of international law.’
- ‘The body of law which deals with this issue is known as the conflict of laws or private international law.’
- ‘Under international law, the jurisdiction exercised by a state is primarily territorial.’
- ‘These two men should feel hemmed in by the rules of international law.’
- ‘This principle is part of the very alphabet of customary international law.’
- ‘But it is important to recognise the nature of the rules of comity in public international law.’
- ‘The Tribunal took no view on the precautionary principle or approach in general international law.’
- ‘The existence or not of a legal state of war is nowadays irrelevant for most purposes of international law.’
- ‘This definition presupposes that all rules of international law are framed in terms of duties.’
- ‘Comparisons between international law and domestic criminal law do indeed appear stark.’
- ‘The aim of the Commission is to uphold international law in relation to religious freedom.’
- ‘He was applying under our law and under international law to ask for his case to be heard.’
- ‘This law has a twofold relationship with the general body of public international law.’
- ‘It has not yet been established by international law that the war is illegal.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.