One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
At irregular intervals; not continuously or steadily.‘he has worked intermittently in a variety of jobs’‘an intermittently amusing plot’
- ‘Many on the Internet have complained that their copy of the film freezes intermittently throughout playback.’
- ‘Smaller vertical window slits are intermittently cut into the concrete flanks, forming an abstract pattern.’
- ‘The compressor intermittently inflates the balloon, which then slowly returns to its sorry, flaccid state.’
- ‘Only intermittently do you see a hint of the psychosis you know must be a part of his makeup.’
- ‘His habit of showing silent actions accompanied by radically different kinds of music, is only intermittently effective.’
- ‘The music of an enigmatic pop singer is the only salvation for some lonely teens in this intermittently extraordinary film.’
- ‘To cap their discomfort, they're intermittently coerced into becoming part of the show.’
- ‘Updates will be posted to the site intermittently throughout the winter, with weekly postings to begin again March 1.’
- ‘The intermittently funny dialogue also has a sharp camp edge.’
- ‘Fields affected by carryover may take on an uneven appearance with a series of stunted plants followed by healthy plants, intermittently.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.