One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
At irregular intervals; not continuously or steadily.‘he has worked intermittently in a variety of jobs’‘an intermittently amusing plot’
- ‘Many on the Internet have complained that their copy of the film freezes intermittently throughout playback.’
- ‘To cap their discomfort, they're intermittently coerced into becoming part of the show.’
- ‘His habit of showing silent actions accompanied by radically different kinds of music, is only intermittently effective.’
- ‘The music of an enigmatic pop singer is the only salvation for some lonely teens in this intermittently extraordinary film.’
- ‘Updates will be posted to the site intermittently throughout the winter, with weekly postings to begin again March 1.’
- ‘Smaller vertical window slits are intermittently cut into the concrete flanks, forming an abstract pattern.’
- ‘Fields affected by carryover may take on an uneven appearance with a series of stunted plants followed by healthy plants, intermittently.’
- ‘The intermittently funny dialogue also has a sharp camp edge.’
- ‘Only intermittently do you see a hint of the psychosis you know must be a part of his makeup.’
- ‘The compressor intermittently inflates the balloon, which then slowly returns to its sorry, flaccid state.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.