Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The burial of a corpse in a grave or tomb, typically with funeral rites.‘the day of interment’[count noun] ‘interments took place in the churchyard’
burial, burying, committal, entombment, inhumationa funeralfuneral rites, obsequiessepulture, exequiesView synonyms
- ‘Following requiem Mass interment took place in the local cemetery.’
- ‘A spouse divorced from the primary eligible, or widowed and remarried, is not eligible for interment.’
- ‘Each grave is for the interment of one casket.’
- ‘Following Requiem Mass interment took place in Towerhill cemetery.’
- ‘The following interments are taken from the official city records of burials in Linwood Cemetery.’
- ‘Afterwards, the funeral proceeded to Knock Cemetery for interment.’
- ‘After Mass, interment took place in the adjoining cemetery.’
- ‘Paddy's funeral took place on Saturday in St. Clare's Church with interment in Mullies Cemetery.’
- ‘The mix-up occurred at the burial of a Middlesbrough woman whose interment had to be delayed for three hours while gravediggers set to work.’
- ‘The Cemetery shall not be held responsible for any order authorizing an interment given by telephone.’
- ‘Services were held yesterday, with interment at Mount Olivet Cemetery.’
- ‘She died in Canada on Monday, August 1, and her funeral services and interment took place in Vancouver.’
- ‘All interments will be made facing east, i.e., with the head at the west end of the grave.’
- ‘The funeral proceeded to St. Mary's Cemetery for interment in the presence of a large gathering of family and friends.’
- ‘Proof of his popularity was the large number of mourners at both his funeral and interment.’
- ‘A wake was held in the family home in Boston and interment took place last Saturday following the celebration of Requiem Mass.’
- ‘They are said to have had importance in rituals, possibly as a focus for interment of the dead.’
- ‘There are two options for finding information about the interments in Smithville Cemetery.’
- ‘A private family interment took place at Rosewood Memorial Gardens.’
- ‘Private ash interment will take place at a later date.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.