One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An organism that supports the immature or non-reproductive forms of a parasite.Compare with definitive host
- ‘Their life cycles depend on domesticated cattle and swine as intermediate hosts.’
- ‘Our biggest nightmare is that an intermediate host is out there carrying the virus and passing it onto other animals.’
- ‘Cats are the usual final host of this protozoan; but other mammals - including humans - and birds, can become intermediate hosts.’
- ‘That the mosquito was the intermediate host of the filarial parasite was a momentous discovery in 1877.’
- ‘This is because snails are the intermediate host to the parasite, which is released into shallow water, and then infects ducks and people.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.