Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The frequency to which a radio signal is converted during heterodyne reception.
- ‘The center frequency of the output range is called the intermediate frequency, or IF.’
- ‘TV detection works by detecting leakage from the receiver of the oscillator used to convert the received frequency down to the intermediate frequency used inside the receiver.’
- ‘The components are connected using an intermediate frequency that carries both power and data.’
- ‘When it comes time to perform an alignment on a Model 90 receiver, there has been a great deal of confusion over the years concerning the proper intermediate frequency to be used.’
- ‘In other words, depending on these intermediate frequencies, the bandpass filter circuit as well as the center frequency of the detecting circuit can be changed.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.