Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Material used as an extra lining between the ordinary lining and the fabric of a garment, curtain, etc.
backing, interlining, facing, inlay, reinforcement, linerView synonyms
- ‘Several trimming companies recently became members, offering goods such as linings, interlinings, buttons, zippers and lace, etc.’
- ‘Our range of interlinings are not only super-soft, they're also packed with other properties to make the wearer feel more comfortable.’
- ‘The interlining makes the fabric hang well and is a marvellous draught excluder.’
- ‘Use heavy material to line curtains or, even better, buy a special thermal interlining.’
- ‘Nonwoven interlinings are custom-tailored solutions as today's fashion fabrics often require support that won't detract from their natural design and handle.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.