Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1An artificial language, devised for machine translation, that makes explicit the distinctions necessary for successful translation into a target language, even where they are not present in the source language.
- ‘IL2, which is in its design stage, is intended to be an interlingua, albeit a relatively simple one.’
- ‘To get a better feel for the way interlinguas work, let's look at two aspects that complicate the transfer phase: word translation and tense.’
- ‘Two clearly different understandings of interlinguas were evident at the pre-workshop.’
- ‘Ideas about interlinguas are intimately tied up with ideas about the representation of meaning.’
- ‘Among the existing interlinguas, special attention will be given to UNL (Universal Networking Language).’
- 1.1[mass noun]An artificial international language formed of elements common to the Romance languages, designed primarily for scientific and technical use.
- ‘As we speak, Esperanto is being corrupted by upstart languages such as Interlingua, Klingon, Java & various cryptophasic tongues.’
- ‘The orthography of Interlingua is based on the 26 letters of the Roman alphabet with no diacritical or accent marks.’
- ‘In this blog, I intend to write about languages, to translate news about languages into Interlingua, and to talk about various other things that seem interesting to me.’
Early 20th century: from inter- ‘between’ + Latin lingua tongue.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.