Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The decoration of the interior of a building or room, especially with regard for colour combination and artistic effect.
- ‘Finally, she told me I ‘had artistic leanings and would succeed in the world of interior decorating.’’
- ‘Not many know that the artiste has a refined taste for interior decoration.’
- ‘We have bought the snooker tables and the building price includes interior decoration.’
- ‘He was famed for his work in stained and painted glass, interior decoration, and furniture design.’
- ‘The garden is looking good, the fish pond is planted and cleaning up nicely with its new filtration system, and the workshop is now weatherproof and ready for interior decoration.’
- ‘Indeed, the squiggle-painted decoration in the original kitchen is representative of interior decoration in its earliest incarnation in America.’
- ‘Apart from fiction, there are books on medicine, history, interior decoration, travel, cookery, fashion designing and puzzles.’
- ‘To attract more high-profile customers, he set aside nearly 10,000 dollars for interior decoration.’
- ‘If you have a new apartment and a lot of money, would you rather spend it on long-term interior decoration or on a set of nice furniture?’
- ‘She has been using images from popular culture to create images which refer to a traditional form of interior decoration.’
- ‘It is, in essence, interior decoration for renters.’
- ‘The place is a pinnacle of interior decoration for a coffee shop.’
- ‘As the concept of interior decoration is gaining popularity, handcrafted materials made in the traditional style are much sought after to beautify a place.’
- ‘Many a dealer spends a fortune on interior decoration, lighting and innovative display techniques.’
- ‘Along with flowerpots and utensils, they also sell decorated vases and other accessories for interior decoration like earthen bells.’
- ‘That's £24,000 for things like holidays, interior decoration, digital cameras, mobile phones, Botox injections and all the other pleasures afforded by modern life.’
- ‘The property was completely refurbished just 12 years ago and is only in need of interior decoration and fittings.’
- ‘The interior decoration in the public areas will also soon be finished.’
- ‘He also put over 1 million yuan into interior decoration.’
- ‘He also had a soft spot for interior decoration.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.