Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A thing produced by intergrowing, especially of mineral crystals in rock.
- ‘Reticulated, generally triangular-appearing twinned intergrowths of slender prismatic crystals are typically referred to as ‘sagenite.’’
- ‘White intergrowths of albite crystals are a common associate of amazonite and smoky quartz.’
- ‘The early type has been noted microscopically in intergrowths with marmatite.’
- ‘These intergrowths were very difficult to study.’
- ‘I was thus able to easily draw not only ideal crystals, but also crystals with distorted forms and all kinds of intergrowths.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.