Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Existing between or obtained from different genera:‘intergeneric differences’‘an intergeneric hybrid’
- ‘Interspecific or intergeneric hybridization, followed by chromosome doubling, can lead to the formation of new allopolyploid species.’
- ‘As these species are cross-incompatible, the only way to obtain such intergeneric hybrids is protoplast fusion and somatic hybridization.’
- ‘The loose interspecific or even intergeneric connections probably provide polyploids with such genetic flexibility.’
- ‘In this framework, a number of interspecific and intergeneric hybrids were grown and tested for fertility and fruit quality.’
- ‘If these were intergeneric hybrids, they would likely have significantly incongruent positions between the chloroplast and mitochondrial gene phylogenies.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.