One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fit between two parts in which the external dimension of one part slightly exceeds the internal dimension of the part into which it has to fit.
- ‘Primers are an interference fit in the pocket so there's a delicate balancing act in the amount of force needed to do the job.’
- ‘The T101 temper substantially increases compressive yield strength, improving the ability of a bearing housed in a material of lower thermal expansion to maintain an interference fit through cycles of heating and cooling.’
- ‘These methods theoretically enhance the ‘interference fit’ and thus provide more rigid fixation of the hamstring graft.’
- ‘Each hole is progressively smaller, and the corresponding plugs of heavy metal are turned on a lathe to produce the correct interference fit.’
- ‘It allows engineers to do real-time calculations such as beam design, column design, spring design, pressure vessels, interference fits, spring mass systems, and so forth.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.