Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to more than one department.‘an interdepartmental committee’
- ‘An interdepartmental committee was formed to bring in a legislative framework.’
- ‘An interdepartmental committee, set up to examine the legal and constitutional difficulties, is close to completing its work.’
- ‘Managing and promoting this interdepartmental program with faculty from four departments required an academic paradigm shift.’
- ‘The audit was done by an interdepartmental committee set up to help cushion the poor against rising food prices.’
- ‘‘We need a more cohesive approach and one interdepartmental body would achieve this,’ Ms Maddock stated.’
- ‘An interdepartmental government committee was also established by the power sharing regime as ministers try to resolve the deep rooted problems.’
- ‘I gather a recent London interdepartmental meeting considered the question and decided to continue to receive the material.’
- ‘In Canada, the issue is being considered by an interdepartmental committee.’
- ‘Interdisciplinary studies courses frequently are arranged through interdepartmental programs in which more than two academic departments offer courses together.’
- ‘Of course, I immediately grabbed one and used it for all of my interdepartmental correspondence.’
- ‘An interdepartmental committee set up in 1903 drew a shocking picture of the nation's children - malnourished, poorly housed, and deprived.’
- ‘Also, interdepartmental coordination should improve.’
- ‘There was interdepartmental squabbling, interfaculty squabbling.’
- ‘The question of making the grant available was one for interdepartmental consideration and a decision would probably be made at an early date.’
- ‘So it wasn't just a failure of technology, it was a failure of interdepartmental planning and coordination.’
- ‘The department has just published draft guidance from an interdepartmental group for consultation.’
- ‘In a statement on October 17, the Health Ministry said that an interdepartmental bird flu crisis task force had started work.’
- ‘Parliament voted on September 10 to create an interdepartmental commission of inquiry to try to track down investments made in Bulgarian overseas companies.’
- ‘Their own responsibilities or their membership of many interdepartmental committees bring them into contact with other departments.’
- ‘The action plan published by the interdepartmental committee on science, technology and innovation called for more investment in R & D in the coming decade.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.