Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Situated or placed between the teeth.
- ‘Afterwards I went into town, ostensibly to buy an interdental toothbrush, but in reality, to walk around blankly wondering what I should be doing to prepare for my new job.’
- ‘The most common cause of redness is gingivitis, in which the erythema is usually restricted to the gingival margins and interdental papillae.’
- ‘It is very important if your gums are bleeding to clean them more thoroughly, not less, ensuring that you brush every surface of the tooth and clean in between the teeth with dental floss or interdental brushes.’
- ‘A strong interdental facet occurs at the posteriormost margin of the crown.’
- ‘The compact tool looks like a mini pocket knife, but opens to reveal a tiny magnifying mirror, between-teeth pick, scaler, interdental brush, plastic toothpick, and a small tongue scraper.’
- ‘Some people find it easier to use interdental brushes rather than floss.’
- ‘Interdental cleaning tools such as dental floss and interdental brushes can help you clean hard-to-reach areas of your teeth, such as between the teeth and under the gumline.’
- ‘This includes brushing your teeth at least twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste and flossing or interdental brushes to clean in between the teeth daily.’
- 1.1Phonetics (of a consonant) pronounced by placing the tip of the tongue between the teeth, such as the ‘th’ sounds in the English words ‘thaw’ and ‘though’.
- ‘The lamino-dentals were very likely once interdental, as their cognates are in some related languages.’
- ‘In other words, it's a voiced interdental fricative.’
An interdental consonant.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.