One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Situated between the ribs.‘the fifth left intercostal space’
- ‘There were extremely large and tortuous intercostal arteries.’
- ‘Referral to a subspecialist also may be considered for patients who have more generalized pain related to irritation of a thoracic or intercostal nerve root.’
- ‘A left posterolateral thoracotomy was performed in the 5th intercostal space.’
- ‘The diaphragm electrode was inserted at the ventral end of the seventh or eighth intercostal space.’
- ‘There were 3 smaller satellite lesions occupying the left first, fifth, and eighth intercostal spaces.’
A muscle situated between the ribs.
- ‘Another name for something similar to Tietze's syndrome is costal chondritis, which is the inflammation of the intercostals between the ribs.’
- ‘Three days later, the diaphragm and parasternal intercostals contained numerous inflammatory cells and necrotic muscle fibers.’
- ‘When he stood up his respiration was maintained by his intercostals.’
- ‘Since publication of this study, there has not been an adequate explanation of the role of the internal intercostals and the external intercostals during breathing.’
- ‘The abdominal muscles contract and are resisted by the intercostals and diaphragm.’
- ‘The muscle between the ribs is called an intercostal and it allows the rib cage to open and close like a bellows as we inhale and exhale.’
- ‘Fold your left leg over your right knee and cross over with your elbows to hit the transverse abdominus, intercostals and obliques.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.