One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who intervenes on behalf of another, especially by prayer.‘they rejected the notion that an intercessor was needed to appeal to God’
mediator, moderator, go-between, negotiator, middleman, intermediary, intervenor, interceder, arbitrator, arbiterView synonyms
- ‘St Lucians come from a society that values the roles of intercessors.’
- ‘In the past, especially the distant past, the saints were venerated as prodigies, miracle-workers, intercessors, protectors.’
- ‘He may be calling us to be intercessors, evangelists, advocates for the poor, healers of the sick, prophets to the world.’
- ‘‘Let us hope,’ wrote the chronicler about this man, ‘that he is not only our temporal benefactor but that he is also our intercessor in heaven.’’
- ‘Such people may even claim that these others are no more than intercessors mediating their relationship with God.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.