Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The state or quality of being intelligible.‘being able to see a speaker can improve intelligibility’
comprehensibility, ease of understanding, accessibility, digestibility, user-friendlinessView synonyms
- ‘The main complaint about each was the lack of clarity - affecting not just the visual but intelligibility.’
- ‘They vary in clarity, intelligibility, accessibility of writing, and in the quality of their observations, conclusions, and recommendations.’
- ‘The idea that accent determines intellect is totally bogus, and mistakes intelligibility for intelligence.’
- ‘The result is reduced clarity and intelligibility.’
- ‘So, I do insist on maintaining intelligibility.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.