Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The theory that life, or the universe, cannot have arisen by chance and was designed and created by some intelligent entity.‘proponents of intelligent design say that theories other than evolution must be considered’
- ‘Supporters of intelligent design say it is a theory with scientific backing.’
- ‘To date, the proponents of intelligent design have not produced anything like that.’
- ‘Creationists have now come up with intelligent design that supposedly fills in the gaps not fully explained by Darwinism.’
- ‘To do so, she said, implies it supports intelligent design in the classroom.’
- ‘In my view that is exactly what intelligent design is - cleverly repackaged creationism.’
- ‘Instead, the proponents of intelligent design use a ploy that works something like this.’
- ‘Dover had added language about intelligent design to its biology curriculum.’
- ‘In the instruction of religion, we can talk about theories like intelligent design.’
- ‘If we grant that the universe is possibly or even probably the result of intelligent design, what is the next step?’
- ‘Why do critics of intelligent design continue to equate it with creationism?’
- ‘Evolutionists are also pleased that the standards do not mention intelligent design.’
- ‘Opponents of intelligent design have apparently settled on their strategy.’
- ‘The original school board ruled that intelligent design could be taught alongside Darwinian evolution, in science classes.’
- ‘Now, proponents of intelligent design want evolution to be challenged in our classrooms.’
- ‘So intelligent design is a better explanation for them than the Darwinian mechanism.’
- ‘These are the opposing explanations of natural or evolutionary descent and intelligent design.’
- ‘Arguments for intelligent design are also encountered in physics and astronomy.’
- ‘More and more scientists are buying into the theory of intelligent design.’
- ‘We have no problem with the concept of intelligent design as religion or as philosophy.’
- ‘Should intelligent design be taught alongside the theory of evolution in our schools?’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.