One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a class of animal transmembrane proteins involved in the adhesion of cells to each other and to their substrate.
- ‘The expression of integrins on the cell surface facilitates adhesion.’
- ‘Understanding the nature of the interaction between the integrin and cell adhesion molecules can aid in the design of potent therapeutics.’
- ‘Transmembrane proteins, such as integrins, anchor cells to the substrate.’
- ‘The elucidation of the fly genome makes it relatively straightforward to generate and study mutations in proteins previously associated with integrins from other systems.’
- ‘This process is coordinately regulated by the spatial and temporal expression of integrins across the cell surface.’
1980s: from integr- in integral + -in.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.