Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of an instrument) indicating the mean value or total sum of a measured quantity.‘integrating microdensitometer’
- ‘We used an integrating sphere to measure the spectral characteristics of a monolayer of cells and microscopic techniques to examine the spectral characteristics of individual cells.’
- ‘A photodiode is mounted on the integrating sphere to measure the radiant flux from the diode laser entering the sphere.’
- ‘Flash intensity during patrol flights in the standard flight apparatus could not reliably be measured so the integrating sphere was brought into play.’
- ‘Guidance was preset, with an integrating accelerometer to measure when the missile had reached the requisite speed to reach the target.’
- ‘This absorbance is an average for healthy leaves as measured with an integrating sphere.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.