Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A surface in front of a driver's or pilot's seat, on which the vehicle's or aircraft's instruments are situated.
switch, knob, button, dial, handle, leverView synonyms
- ‘Additional modifications include a new steering wheel and better-looking surfaces for the instrument panel.’
- ‘Through them I could see the instrument panel, throttles and seats, with cushions still in place.’
- ‘It's helped by the magnesium cross-car beam that acts as the mounting surface for the instrument panel and steering column.’
- ‘Furthermore, a storage undertray beneath the instrument panel runs across the front of the car.’
- ‘The engine roared and the instrument panel in front flickered into action.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.