One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A woman who teaches something.‘a riding instructress’
- ‘A bildungsroman is a novel of education, and Owen's education consists of learning from a ‘string of instructresses’ lessons about life.’
- ‘Later that year the school was visited by GB Smith, the local Magistrate, who said, ‘I have much pleasure in reporting the care and energy displayed by the instructress.’
- ‘Would you deign to be my instructress, I should prove an apter scholar than if taught by Signor Rappaccini himself.’
- ‘Tao's top chef, Maki (who doubles as gym instructress, costume designer and, of course, performer), has been put in charge of the food.’
- ‘Some sources credit Amy Schauer, instructress in cookery at Brisbane's Central College from 1897 to 1938 and a renowned authority on culinary matters who was reputedly very fond of rich cakes and puddings.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.