One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A woman who teaches something.‘a riding instructress’
- ‘Would you deign to be my instructress, I should prove an apter scholar than if taught by Signor Rappaccini himself.’
- ‘Some sources credit Amy Schauer, instructress in cookery at Brisbane's Central College from 1897 to 1938 and a renowned authority on culinary matters who was reputedly very fond of rich cakes and puddings.’
- ‘Later that year the school was visited by GB Smith, the local Magistrate, who said, ‘I have much pleasure in reporting the care and energy displayed by the instructress.’
- ‘Tao's top chef, Maki (who doubles as gym instructress, costume designer and, of course, performer), has been put in charge of the food.’
- ‘A bildungsroman is a novel of education, and Owen's education consists of learning from a ‘string of instructresses’ lessons about life.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.