Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Providing or showing creative or spiritual inspiration.‘the team's inspirational captain’
exciting, stirring, action-packed, rip-roaring, gripping, riveting, fascinating, dramatic, hair-raising, rousing, lively, animated, spirited, stimulating, moving, inspiring, inspirational, electrifying, passionate, impassioned, emotive, emotional, emotion-charged, heady, soul-stirringView synonyms
- ‘He passed the ball accurately and made some tremendous inspirational runs down the left.’
- ‘Skilful, robust and inspirational players are plentiful in this part of the land.’
- ‘His moving delivery and inspirational monologues give heart to the whole spectacle.’
- ‘I want our captain to be inspirational, to say the right things off the pitch.’
- ‘One does not have to look far for the inspirational source for this sentence.’
- ‘Last night's ceremony was a moving and uplifting occasion as their inspirational stories were told.’
- ‘It is a wracking emotional journey which never strays from its inspirational purpose.’
- ‘The inspirational blueprint for the city centre has been published to a generally positive reception.’
- ‘How far she was inspirational in the actual composition of the work remains essentially problematic.’
- ‘There have been some inspirational women who have shaped my life, but admittedly not many.’
- ‘As headteacher at Ifield Special School he has been dynamic, inspirational and innovative.’
- ‘It was an inspirational score and the students began to enjoy their best spell.’
- ‘Lill's brilliance at the keyboard is an inspirational example of how talent can overcome adversity.’
- ‘She says Mullan's attitude towards the realities of the creative process were inspirational.’
- ‘This inspirational player broke round the blind side and was stopped just short of the try line.’
- ‘This was played with delicacy, freshness, and youthful energy, and was inspirational.’
- ‘He has mental toughness and is a strong character and an inspirational captain.’
- ‘Its current education programme is extensive, innovative and inspirational.’
- ‘Vic never wrote anything before his inspirational moment in the bath back in 1996.’
- ‘In any enterprise of this sort, it goes without saying there's going to be an inspirational man or woman behind it.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.