Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] Exposure to the sun's rays.
- ‘The glass panels are in fact triple-glazed units, with blinds in the wider cavity automatically activated to cut down insolation.’
- ‘More exposed microsites receive more insolation, which may be energetically advantageous to incubating birds.’
- ‘In summer, various shading devices including adjustable sun protecting blinds and coloured curtains reduce insolation.’
- ‘While not advocating planar glazing, I wonder if there couldn't have been a less strident approach to making the glass walls, which themselves are causing some problems of insolation and glare.’
- ‘The perforation pattern was carefully designed to maintain visual connectivity to the exterior while minimizing glare and insolation.’
- 1.1The amount of solar radiation reaching a given area.
- ‘Surface temperature affects the extent of habitat suitable for temperature sensitive species and is directly linked to insolation, air temperature, and wind.’
- ‘Actual insolation at Earth's surface and latitude ~ 33° N, some weeks after the autumnal equinox, will of course be less than this; let's call it an even 1 kilowatt per square meter.’
- ‘In the annual cycle experiments, however, low winter insolation causes the seaways to freeze.’
- ‘The procedure selected the following four variables: direct insolation, slope, Ca and total nitrogen.’
- ‘Long-term changes in the Earth's orbit are believed to cause a redistribution of insolation across both hemispheres, and these changes, in turn, lead to changes in climate.’
Early 17th century: from Latin insolatio(n-), from the verb insolare, from in- towards + sol sun.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.