One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘the album title, like many of their songs, is based on an inside joke’another term for in-joke
- ‘The book's more interesting elements - the fleeting fragments of historical information and the odd archival photo - give way all too frequently to inside jokes and surprisingly pedestrian observations.’
- ‘My father winks at him, sharing an inside joke.’
- ‘This is a film parents will enjoy watching with their children, because there are just enough inside jokes and adult humor to keep the story interesting.’
- ‘You don't know these characters, you don't get their inside jokes, you have no frame of reference for their anecdotes.’
- ‘While the anecdotes and inside jokes are enjoyable enough, the banter does wear a bit thin and listeners are left wishing for more substantive comments.’
- ‘It's an inside joke between them, and they laugh with the intimacy of kinship and the relief of distance from the subject at hand.’
- ‘When an ad makes a 'tween feel like there's an inside joke between them and the advertiser, it's a home run.’
- ‘He insisted on turning his films into black comedies, full of inside jokes and slippery double entendres, while his contemporaries did what the studio told them to do.’
- ‘Also, for those who like weird little inside jokes, take note that most of the incidental police characters are named after members of the production team.’
- ‘Culturally adept viewers will also enjoy the celebrity cameos and inside jokes, none of which I will spoil here.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.