Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Resembling or reminiscent of an insect or insects.‘his insectile hands’
- ‘By the end of the track, only the higher frequencies remain, creating a delicate ringing like the insectile hum of rubbing a finger around the inside of a wet glass.’
- ‘Impro-Micro-Acoustique begins in what initially sounds like fairly traditional free improv territory: the air is thin with insectile scratches, creaks and the occasional, markedly electronic sound.’
- ‘Is it an occasion of worship for some insectile race, or a missionary visitant from somewhere far off in the cosmos?’
- ‘He portrays the automobile as a foreign body with vital juices, an insectile shell that can surround and invade the human body - a carapace.’
- ‘But the swarm of insectile buzzing quickly cohered and built to a climax until it, too, was gone forever - without fadeout or explanation.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.