Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to insects.‘the insectan orders’
- ‘Because the insectan sandgropers spend virtually their whole lives underground, they have been difficult subjects for study and little was known about their biology until recently.’
- ‘Apart from that, being in one of the megadiverse countries in insect diversity, I had the opportunity to work on various insectan orders, from the caddisflies to beetles for the past 20 years.’
- ‘The insectan nervous system evolved from the segmented system of annelid worms, such as the earthworm.’
- ‘They are of less frequent occurrence in insects, but the chemistry of the secretion of insectan hairs, to the extent that it is known, can be of interest.’
- ‘The positive allometry of flight speeds ensures that translational speeds of volant vertebrate predators substantially exceed those of their insectan prey.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.