One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A compound which is an intermediate in the metabolism of purine and is used in kidney transplantation to provide a temporary source of sugar. It is a nucleoside consisting of hypoxanthine linked to ribose.
- ‘Apart from that, however, they would exhibit exactly the same coordination of the ions as in the channel of the guanine quadruplex as the electronic structure and molecular electrostatic potential of inosine and guanine are similar.’
- ‘Adenosine deaminase is an enzyme of purine metabolism which catalyses adenosine into inosine and is found in most human tissues particularly in the lymphoid tissues.’
- ‘We have evaluated selected molecular interactions of nucleobases in the simulated structures to obtain further insight in similarities and differences between the ability of guanine and inosine to form quadruplexes.’
- ‘Adenosine deaminase is an aminohydrolase that converts adenosine to inosine and is thus involved in the catabolism of purine bases.’
- ‘However, due to the low transport rate of inosine, this is a low-flux pathway.’
Early 20th century: from Greek is, in- ‘fibre, muscle’ + -ose + -ine.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.