One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Not consisting of or deriving from living matter.
inanimate, not living, lifeless, dead, defunct, extinct, inertView synonyms
- ‘The term ‘fossil’ was used here to mean any object dug up, including minerals and inorganic materials as well as fossils in the modern sense.’
- ‘They probably developed both as ecological disaster forms and as a consequence of unusual marine chemistry that promoted inorganic and microbial calcification.’
- ‘And the situation regarding fully inorganic artificial intelligence is not as clear-cut as it once was, given the experimentation with Cyborgs and prosthetic brain parts.’
- ‘Materials that have crystalline structures are typically inorganic in nature (metal, ceramic, stone, some pigments).’
- ‘A mineral in the geologic sense is a naturally occurring, inorganic, crystalline solid.’
- ‘This neighbor is unable to understand that inorganic divisions amongst this human race, such as alliances, nations, ethnicities, will never stay static.’
- ‘The red cans are for inorganic garbage like plastic, cans and metal.’
- ‘It will also yield valuable manure, provided it is not mixed with inorganic waste like plastic.’
- ‘It is no more than a cleverly crafted lump of inorganic matter; its shape and working parts are contrived to facilitate the intended function: the switching around of the circuitry in clearly defined ways.’
- ‘If you prefer using inorganic fertiliser, one of the complete granular products should be sprinkled either side of where the seeds are to be planted.’
- ‘So I spent the next several years reading about how people recognise patterns in nature, how they discriminate among living things and things that are inorganic but natural, like rocks.’
- ‘Minerals are inorganic materials that are essential to proper nutrition.’
- ‘Try to collect inorganic material that will not rot.’
- ‘They claim it is a clean, efficient way to dispose of materials that are non-recyclable, non-reusable and inorganic.’
- ‘Despite their plantlike outlines, these features are now known to be inorganic structures caused by a solution of manganese from within the beds that reprecipitated as oxides along cracks or along bones of fossils.’
- ‘The use of inorganic fertilizers depletes natural resources and can impose a heavy financial and environmental cost.’
- ‘When the sample was heated to 850°C, the remaining inorganic residue represented more than 15% by weight of the original sample.’
- ‘The term ceramic refers to an inorganic material that is solid and nonmetallic.’
- ‘As for the inorganic garbage that is disposed of every day in a household, it may be broken down right away through incineration.’
- ‘The astounding variety of microbes that subsist on inorganic materials without oxygen could be put to great use in much needed areas such as water treatment, waste disposal and pollution reduction.’
- ‘Using hydroponics, inorganic fertiliser, electric light and genetic modification we could in theory feed the entire world from a multi-storey farm the size of Wales.’
- ‘However, other articles are more detailed and comprise tables of data collected from field experiments designed to test the effects of inorganic fertilizers on crop traits, such as yield, mineral content and crop storage quality.’
- 1.1 Without organized physical structure.
Relating to or denoting compounds which are not organic (broadly, compounds not containing carbon).
- ‘Similarly, if the compound is inorganic, an organic solvent, such as water, is needed.’
- ‘Under sulphur-deficient conditions, reduced protein synthesis is accompanied by the accumulation of organic and inorganic nitrogenous compounds.’
- ‘Both organic and inorganic compounds experience elimination reactions.’
- ‘Addition reactions of inorganic molecules occur when an atom has more than one valence.’
- ‘In the chemistry laboratory, ultraviolet and visible spectroscopy (UV-vis spectroscopy) is used to study molecules and inorganic ions in solution.’
Not explainable by the normal processes of etymology.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.