Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of two or four divisions of a game during which one side has a turn at batting:‘the highlight of the Surrey innings’
- ‘In a feast of runs, the home side powered their way to 248, with Yasir Ali cracking 111 in an innings which included 21 fours.’
- ‘Norths had the opportunity in the bottom of the innings to take the game from Brothers, but conceded their fifth one run loss of the season.’
- ‘The tourists improved to make 352 in their second innings, with four batsmen reaching half-centuries.’
- ‘The colourful Yorkshireman umpired the first innings of a game between an Old England XI and Lashings World XI at Scarborough Cricket Club.’
- ‘In a thrilling match, Bury led at the interval by one run, only to allow Bolton a comeback in the second innings and take the game by 10 runs.’
- 1.1 A player's turn at batting:‘he had played his greatest innings’
- ‘Each of them captured four wickets in an innings against Natal and they could hold the key to another Border victory.’
- ‘Loye fell to Australian all-rounder Ian Harvey, who claimed four wickets in an innings for the first time for Yorkshire.’
- ‘He faced 138 balls and struck nine fours, his innings spanning 41 overs and keeping Yorkshire's unbeaten record intact.’
- ‘Bevan hit only seven fours in his innings, and to make a big score at more than a run a ball with so few boundaries is very rare.’
- ‘Hornby Junior then produced the crucial innings to keep his side on course for a six-wicket win.’
- 1.2 The score achieved during a player's turn at batting:‘a solid innings of 78 by Marsh’
2A period during which a person or group is active or effective:‘Brewer stepped up to the commission and had his innings too’
- ‘Perhaps, they had the longest innings on TV screens and the largest fan following.’
- ‘Despite his long innings on the screen, he never got any National award, not even as a supporting actor.’
- ‘I think I had a good innings in terms of what we managed to do.’
- ‘His innings on the silver screen has yet to begin.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.