One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each division of a game during which both sides have a turn at batting.
- ‘White set a modern major league record in scoring three runs in the 7th inning of that game.’
- ‘Casey, who grew up near Pittsburgh, says he thought a lot about batting in the first inning of the first game at a new stadium in his hometown.’
- ‘Fielder leads off the inning by ripping a double down the rightfield line.’
- ‘Interesting timing, because if you're going to cut the game short, it seems only fair to announce it before a full inning, so both sides have fair warning.’
- ‘Then in the seventh inning, the center fielder singled home the go-ahead run.’
Old English innung ‘a putting or getting in’, related to in. The current sense dates from the mid 19th century.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.