Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each division of a game during which both sides have a turn at batting.
- ‘Then in the seventh inning, the center fielder singled home the go-ahead run.’
- ‘White set a modern major league record in scoring three runs in the 7th inning of that game.’
- ‘Interesting timing, because if you're going to cut the game short, it seems only fair to announce it before a full inning, so both sides have fair warning.’
- ‘Fielder leads off the inning by ripping a double down the rightfield line.’
- ‘Casey, who grew up near Pittsburgh, says he thought a lot about batting in the first inning of the first game at a new stadium in his hometown.’
Old English innung ‘a putting or getting in’, related to in. The current sense dates from the mid 19th century.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.