One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A concave navel.‘belly buttons can generally be divided into innies and outies’
- ‘It's just that my belly button was born as an innie and has no business becoming an outie, at least not without my express permission.’
- ‘Why do some people have "innie" belly buttons and other have "outties"?’
- ‘So now it looks like Cal has a nice little innie.’
- ‘After the baby is born, the cord shrivels up and you get an innie.’
- ‘Whether you sport an "innie" or "outtie" is determined at infancy.’
- ‘Swimmers can easily receive an "innie" instead at a drive-thru SurgiCenter.’
- ‘My belly button sticks out like an outtie but it nestled in my belly like an innie.’
- ‘We thought gender might be important or age or whether a person's belly button is an innie or an outie.’
- ‘The umbilicus was relocated, defatted and sutured with 4-0 PDS sutures at the 2, 4, 8 and 10 o'clock positions to create an innie.’
1960s: from in + -ie.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.