One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Personal spiritual revelation; a source of enlightenment within oneself.
- ‘He would have to glow with God's inner light.’
- ‘It is a firm belief that this inner light can be kindled to brilliance through yogic practices.’
- ‘Her long eyelashes seemed to have tiny jewels on the ends, and her face appeared to glow with an inner light.’
- ‘My second catalyst patiently taught me how to center the whole being of the physical body, the emotional body and the spiritual body so that the inner light began to appear.’
- ‘Too much humility also throws a veil across the inner light of the soul.’
- ‘She seems frail and weak, though an inner light burns in her - some kind of vital spirit that makes her more than pretty, but actually beautiful.’
- ‘Quaker teaching has frequently emphasized the inner working of Christ in the believer's soul, the inner light which guides and illuminates the devout life.’
- ‘On holy days you try to engage the spirit to find your way to the inner light, as Quakers say.’
- ‘The monistic or meditative way is to turn within in meditation, go deep into the lotus of the heart and experience our inner self, our inner light, our spiritual energy.’
- ‘A faint golden aura seemed to permeate the young man's body, as if it were glowing with an inner light of holiness.’
- ‘She curled up, looking at him with piercing azure eyes that sparkled with an inner light, a feminine innocence, and fear.’
- ‘Her eyes had always shone with some inner light, especially when she laughed, and her expression had always been open and passionate.’
- ‘No where could see that inner light more than in her smile.’
- ‘His hazel eyes seemed to reflect some inner light.’
- ‘His eyes opened, revealing cold blue orbs, sparkling with an inner light.’
- ‘Her eyes seemed larger and shown with an inner light, an innocence that her physical age denied.’
- ‘They too have seen the light of what awaits us once we fully remember who we once were, unlocking the mind and spirit and with it, our own inner light!’
- ‘Seeing Rebekah's face turn a bright red, but still radiating with an inner light, Allison knew exactly what had happened.’
- ‘Integrity should shine forth from all who follow Jesus like a steady inner light, illuminating all that is said and done.’
- ‘As soon as we cease to react, we have for the first time the vision of the inner light.’
Mid 19th century: originally in Quaker doctrine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.