Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Set to the value or put in the condition appropriate to the start of an operation.‘the counter is initialized to one’
operate, switch on, turn on, start, start off, start up, set going, get going, trigger off, trigger, trip, set in motion, actuate, initiate, initialize, energize, animateView synonyms
- ‘Instead, the/dev directory is created when the operating system is initialized on the machine, populating the/dev directory with all known possible names.’
- ‘Because the hooks are embedded in the kernel and are called even before a security module is installed, this structure is initialized to a set of functions provided by a dummy security module.’
- ‘The squad table is initialized to a reasonable set of default values.’
- ‘A pointer that you use to iterate in a buffer also has value semantics - you initialize it to point to the beginning of the buffer, and you bump it until you reach the end.’
- ‘During playback, artificial headers are injected as appropriate for initializing the decoder for playback of the complex asset.’
2Format (a computer disk).
- ‘The second issue was a recent case where I was using a 925 board to build a media center box and the driver disk refused to initialize.’
- ‘The disc may be initialized without a SSA for real-time video and audio recording and use of a cartridge.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.