Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Growing or having grown within; innate.‘as ingrown habit would have dictated’
inborn, natural, inbred, congenital, inherent, intrinsic, instinctive, intuitive, spontaneous, unlearned, untaughtView synonyms
- ‘It is an ingrown tradition, and anything that messes with it is a reason for fighting.’
- ‘Maybe festering resentment, ingrown anger, and self-hate are the inevitable result of the long years spent in fruitless opposition to the global reach of American power.’
- ‘The change from that ingrown concern can come when something outside the self influences the self to rethink (God, Christ in Paul; Reason in Stoicism).’
- ‘Many teachers and school administrators regard this not as a kid's overreaction, but as ingrown social incorrigibility that must be swiftly and severely punished.’
- 1.1 (of a toenail) having grown into the flesh.
- ‘While this can be effective for solving all sorts of software troubles, it's like amputating someone's leg to fix an ingrown toenail.’
- ‘It occurs when the outermost layers of your skin don't shed off at a normal rate and causes bumps composed of ingrown hairs and unshed skin.’
- ‘Plus there's the ingrown hair and stuff like inflamed follicles that may come if it's left without maintenance.’
- ‘The camera zoomed on her big toe showing a pussing ingrown toenail.’
- ‘Sometimes we see an ingrown hair in people who shave the pubic area.’
- ‘And he'd get ingrown toenails or an allergy attack while he was fighting.’
- ‘Ignoring an ingrown toenail may lead to more serious complications later, such as infections that can spread right down to the bone.’
- ‘Trimming your toenails so they are short enough not to rub on the end of the boot, yet not so short that they will cause ingrown toenails, is very important.’
- ‘Then, carefully clip toenail corners at 45-degree angles to prevent ingrown toenails.’
- ‘If you are having any problems, such as loss of feeling, sores, or ingrown toenails, tell your doctor right away.’
- ‘Then, a week later, the ingrown toenail that resulted from her stubbing becomes infected.’
- ‘It was an ingrown toenail, or the beginning of one, or something.’
- ‘After the loss, Williams sat out with an ingrown toenail.’
- ‘I must shower first, and then I shall clip my toenails (I have a hypochondriac's fear of ingrown toenails, so I manicure my feet incessantly).’
- ‘He is stepping gingerly because of problems with ingrown toenails.’
- ‘To avoid ingrown toenails, cut your nails straight across.’
- ‘Shaving, of course, is what causes ingrown hairs, which is what you are mistaking as zits.’
- ‘Your chances of developing an ingrown toenail are reduced if you cut your nails properly.’
- ‘I had an ingrown toenail (or rather it was beginning to become one) and I went to the foot doc to get it taken care of.’
- ‘With no support of the toe box, the toes and ankles suffered causing ingrown toenails, bunions and arthritis.’
- 1.2 Inward-looking.‘a clubby, ingrown world in which everybody knows everybody’
- ‘To the extent that the conservative or libertarian parts of the blogosphere become ingrown, they fail to do necessary persuasive work.’
- ‘We should be, as John Paul II has emphasized so often, reclaiming the culture, and that includes Catholic culture, where it has become ingrown and oppressive.’
- ‘Reading these poems I kept thinking of Ionesco in Paris, Nabokov in New England, even Beckett, split between English and French but doing anything to avoid the stale colloquialisms of an ingrown Irishness.’
- ‘Henighan considers the Toronto literary scene to be an ingrown milieu in which writers not published by USA branch plants are losers, and writers not living in Toronto are ignored.’
(of an incised meander) asymmetric in cross section due to lateral erosion.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.