One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A space on either side of a large fireplace.as modifier ‘an inglenook fireplace’
nook, cranny, niche, recess, bay, booth, alcoveView synonyms
- ‘Originally designed to serve a family's heating needs, in today's modern homes seats are often included in alcoves either side and a smaller more practical fire used within the inglenook opening itself.’
- ‘So cosy in fact, that it was difficult to tear ourselves away from the roaring log fire burning in the inglenook fireplace.’
- ‘Maybe it was because the beamed room had a big inglenook fire place which had been blocked off and connected to a bread oven.’
- ‘The next problem they encountered was with the huge inglenook fireplace in which the Nashes once cooked their food, kept their kettle boiling, and in front of which they entertained their audiences.’
- ‘Meals are served in a cosy dining-room with a large inglenook fireplace.’
- ‘The first is the inglenook fireplace surrounded by plump armchairs - perfect for after-dinner coffee and liqueurs.’
- ‘It has a beamed bar-room with large inglenook fireplace always alight in winter months; pets and children are welcome.’
- ‘A spacious hall with original granite floor leads to a large dining room, with original granite inglenook fireplace complete with cast-iron stove.’
- ‘Mr Trevis alerted the emergency services after a fire in his inglenook hearth set the chimney alight.’
- ‘In the centre of the two reception rooms is the exposed granite chimney with fireplaces either side - a normal sized model in the dining room, and the giant inglenook in the living room.’
- ‘Tom knocked out his foul pipe into a smouldering ashtray, fished some dirty reading glasses out of his pocket, and took the letter to a wall lamp by the big inglenook fireplace.’
- ‘Inside, there is a reception hall with an inglenook fireplace, lounge, dining room, fitted kitchen, study, and three bedrooms.’
- ‘These four and five bedroom properties are, ‘ideal for professionals who like to entertain,’ and have features such as sunrooms for all year round dining and an inglenook fireplace for relaxing evenings at home.’
- ‘At the back is a large living room with a brick inglenook fireplace and solid fuel stove.’
- ‘The beamed ceiling and striking inglenook raised fireplace with brick surround lend a country feel to the breakfast area, which can easily hold a 14-seater table.’
- ‘There, with rich velvet Somerset ale, charcoal grilled steaks, and a spitting, crackling inglenook fiercely roasting away their dampness, they gradually returned to humanity.’
- ‘He also restored the inglenook fireplace to its original size, sourcing 2in Tudor bricks from a salvage yard, and reinstated a trap door, the only way to the master bedroom.’
- ‘Where the original stove would have been, she has created an inglenook fireplace with an oak surround and alcove storage.’
Late 18th century: from Scots ingle + nook.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.