One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1At a taxonomic level below that of species, e.g. subspecies, variety, cultivar, or form. In botany, Latin names at this level usually require the addition of a term denoting the rank.
- ‘The Asian species are represented by three specific and two infraspecific taxa.’
- ‘The present work represents the first comprehensive treatment of Alnus maritima at the infraspecific level.’
- ‘Several researchers recognize the strength and reproducibility of this method at the infraspecific level.’
- ‘The known vascular flora of the Preserve consists of 538 specific and infraspecific taxa from 310 genera in 98 families.’
- 1.1 Occurring within a species.‘infraspecific variation’
- ‘Therefore, any conclusions about infraspecific length and repeat variability, possibly also detected in a heteroplasmic state in one individual, have to await further infraspecific studies.’
- ‘Several infraspecific taxa have been recognized but the current classification should be regarded as tentative and further studies based on molecular data are needed.’
- ‘Phylogeny, cytology, ethnobotany, conservation biology, and infraspecific taxa are all reasons why a revision of the North American species of Apios was needed.’
- ‘Perhaps Furlow lacked the quantity of data needed to resolve the infraspecific variation that exists.’
- ‘Thus we considered the number of lateral costae (five or six per shell flank) in S.7 spiriferformis to be within the infraspecific variation of Sinostricklandiella robusta.’
- ‘At the time of the last revision of the genus, Apios americana Medikus was the only described North American species and none of its six infraspecific taxa had been described.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.