One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1At a taxonomic level below that of species, e.g. subspecies, variety, cultivar, or form. In botany, Latin names at this level usually require the addition of a term denoting the rank.
- ‘The present work represents the first comprehensive treatment of Alnus maritima at the infraspecific level.’
- ‘The Asian species are represented by three specific and two infraspecific taxa.’
- ‘The known vascular flora of the Preserve consists of 538 specific and infraspecific taxa from 310 genera in 98 families.’
- ‘Several researchers recognize the strength and reproducibility of this method at the infraspecific level.’
- 1.1 Occurring within a species.‘infraspecific variation’
- ‘Perhaps Furlow lacked the quantity of data needed to resolve the infraspecific variation that exists.’
- ‘Thus we considered the number of lateral costae (five or six per shell flank) in S.7 spiriferformis to be within the infraspecific variation of Sinostricklandiella robusta.’
- ‘Several infraspecific taxa have been recognized but the current classification should be regarded as tentative and further studies based on molecular data are needed.’
- ‘At the time of the last revision of the genus, Apios americana Medikus was the only described North American species and none of its six infraspecific taxa had been described.’
- ‘Therefore, any conclusions about infraspecific length and repeat variability, possibly also detected in a heteroplasmic state in one individual, have to await further infraspecific studies.’
- ‘Phylogeny, cytology, ethnobotany, conservation biology, and infraspecific taxa are all reasons why a revision of the North American species of Apios was needed.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.