One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An invalid vote or voting paper.
- ‘One of the most disheartening aspects of the last Federal election was the large informal vote.’
- ‘The informal vote in the 2001 election was nearly 5%, over 50% more than in the pre-Beazley elections of the 1990s.’
- ‘Over the past four federal elections, the proportion of informal votes has almost doubled from 3 percent in 1993.’
- ‘Who do you blame for informal votes - the voters or the legislators?’
- ‘Over 22,000 informal votes were cast in this referendum.’
- ‘Even then that vote was less than half of what the informal vote was.’
- ‘In several federal electorates in Queensland, the level of informal votes exceeds 5% of the votes cast.’
- ‘Although 33 votes were in favour and 14 against, three were ‘wrong ballot papers ‘considered as informal votes.’’
- ‘Some other Labor voters clearly protested with an informal vote.’
- ‘Below is a list of the groups, candidates and informal votes from Senate elections in NSW between 1974 and 1987.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.