One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for shackland
- ‘The City of Johannesburg is set to embark on a major drive to put up and repair lights on major roads and in streets of the suburbs, townships and informal settlements of the city.’
- ‘Some 85% of the township consists of informal settlements.’
- ‘A certain amount of tension exists between formal townships and adjacent informal settlements because the latter are seen to undermine the value of the former.’
- ‘However, Dunoon and its neighbouring informal settlement Doornbach overwhelmingly vote for the ANC.’
- ‘The result is that thousands of workers are forced to live in dismal housing conditions in compounds, shanty towns and informal settlements.’
- ‘Businesses were closed and concern was growing over the well-being of particularly residents of informal settlements in surrounding townships.’
- ‘The programme will be piloted in two communities near Lovedale - the peri-urban settlement Happy Rest, and the informal settlement Ntselamanzi township.’
- ‘Tap water samples are taken from the bulk supply and reservoirs across the city, including from informal settlements.’
- ‘She said there were Aids posters all over Johannesburg and its suburbs reminding the public about World Aids Day but there were none in the informal settlements around the city.’
- ‘Volunteers have been trained to fight fires in informal settlements by the City's emergency management services.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.