Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Flowing in.‘some particles delivered in the influent streams settle in the reservoirs’
- ‘The reactor system includes a treatment basin having an inlet for continuously receiving an influent stream and an outlet for continuously discharging an effluent stream, and contains a mixed liquor.’
- ‘In case of the river Ganges, it is effluent in south-west while influent in the north of Calcutta.’
- ‘Municipal water treatment plants must charge customers for the increased chemicals and electricity necessary for water treatment when influent raw water has high turbidity levels.’
- ‘He was a fantastic racehorse and like a lot of Danehill's sons can become an influent sire.’
- ‘The influent pump shaft acts as a lift station delivering raw sewage from a newly constructed 9.5-mile-long 18-foot diameter rock tunnel.’
- ‘Use at least a 4-inch diameter sewer line (also known as influent line or distribution pipe) from the house to the lagoon.’
- ‘Therefore, adjustments to the dosing system must be made when influent flows change substantially.’
- ‘The influent solution was sparged continuously with N2 gas to maintain anoxic conditions for the bacteria and to prevent aerobic oxidation of the materials in the wastewater.’
- ‘In summer, influent waters are commonly warm and enter the uppermost waters, but cooler rainwater falling at night may sink to the level of the thermocline before moving out into the basin.’
- ‘The high sludge yields were caused by unexpectedly high and erratic levels of influent solids for which the builders were not responsible.’
- ‘The influent waters carry not only solute loads, but also sediments both in suspension and along the bed of the streams.’
A stream, especially a tributary, which flows into another stream or lake.
brook, rivulet, rill, runnel, streamlet, freshetView synonyms
- ‘This proves that the presence of ASP effluent in the Knostrop influent is not detrimental to settlement and that the Knostrop influent is capable of good settlement with proper operation.’
- ‘The method involves the steps of continuously flowing an influent into a treatment basin and continuously flowing an effluent out of the treatment basin into a clarifier.’
- ‘Each system is designed to handle a certain volume of water per day, but the system is also tailored for the qualities of the specific influent.’
- ‘Good examples of influent streams include the Nile, and the Colorado River in the southwestern United States.’
- ‘In an extensive survey of U.S. wastewater treatment plants, Schulz has found perfluorinated compounds in influents and effluents.’
Late Middle English (as an adjective): from Latin influent- flowing in, from influere (see influence). The noun is recorded from the mid 19th century.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.