Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Implant or insert firmly in something:‘the particles of mercury will infix themselves in the structure of the other metal’‘it is a habit of thought deeply infixed in modern readers’
ground-in, fixed, infixed, planted, implanted, embeddedView synonyms
- ‘Conventional dart tags were infixed on 1871 sailfish from 15 April 1996.’
- ‘The infixing structure is utilized to secure fixing of the lampshades at any position on the conducting support tubes.’
Insert (a formative element) into the body of a word.
enter, put, introduce, incorporate, interpolate, interpose, interject, inset, infix, buildView synonyms
- ‘You don't say like in English I talked - I will talk, but infixing, you have morphemes which are within the root.’
- ‘The text which sparked this query to the List was an analysis of expletive infixing.’
- ‘A linguist enthusiastically explained to me that swearing is the only example of infixing in the English language and I was happy, for I had learned something.’
A formative element inserted in a word.
- ‘In the following table, we give the prefix and infix notations and the corresponding expansions.’
- ‘After excluding unusual ones not used in modem Spanish, there are still about sixty derivatives for a single verb, and many of the transformation rules are irregular, both in suffixes and in infixes.’
- ‘The case infixes are closely related to lexicon entries.’
- ‘The suffixes and infixes are organized under two headings: nouns, adjectives, and pronouns and verbs.’
- ‘The infixes are fewer and less useful to you.’
Early 16th century: from Latin infix- fixed in, from the verb infigere, from in- into + figere fasten, reinforced by in- ‘into’+ fix. The noun is on the pattern of prefix and suffix.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.