Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The state or quality of being infinite or having no limit.‘the infinitude of the universe’
- ‘In addition to supporting their validity, it provides a clearer sense of the relation between infinitude, singularity, and whole - part priority, and of the status of space and time as infinite ‘givens.’’
- ‘He must surely have meant that, when you listen to a masterpiece, you have a sense that you are in the presence of infinitude.’
- ‘It's a novel of stories within stories that aspires to the condition of the imaginary book at its shifting centre - infinitude.’
- ‘A shroud of thick clouds obscured its furthest side, giving the illusion of infinitude.’
- ‘This theorem, also called the infinitude of primes theorem, was proved by Euclid in Proposition IX.20 of the Elements.’
- ‘To portray God in human form in a two-dimensional fresco is to limit God's infinitude that is infinitely beyond the powers of the human mind to perceive.’
- ‘The sublime in Aviram's theory is ‘a sense of infinitude, or excess, specifically in relation to language’, thereby rhythm exists beyond the contingencies of semantic meaning.’
- ‘One suspects its intricacies are a shorthand for infinitude.’
- ‘Many of Page's poems offer other varieties of infinitude.’
- ‘As Mr Fowles again points out, we find ourselves adrift on a raft, in a silent, unyielding universe, dominated by hazard and infinitude.’
- ‘To say understanding depletes the object understood, and by extension the whole objective world, is merely to say that specificities limit infinitude.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin infinitus (see infinite), on the pattern of magnitude.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.